Friday, September 14, 2012

Library Books

Dear Parents,
Please encourage your children to keep the library book that they checked out more than one day. Many books  come back the next day and when I ask them who read them the book. They say no one has read it  to them yet.  Library is on Wednesday and the books do not have to be returned until the following Wednesday. I also encourage them to practice building stamina by reading the book at home. They chose the book so it is obviously something they wanted to read.  If you read them the book they can retell the story, read the pictures, and read  some of the words. You could look for sight words in print, read a sentence and have them repeat it, etc. We did this today with the big book Buttons Buttons and they were so excited to be reading! We are busy building stamina. We are up to 9 minutes in reading and 6 minutes in writing. I am so excited about their progress. We made a list of possible fish names for our new class pet (model writing)  and Mrs. Parsons got to choose her favorite. Its name is Happy Feet.  HELP!!!!!!!I am looking for donations of prizes for the children to "buy" at the end of the week if they earn 5 sticks (one for each day of the school week) for following classroom procedures. Some suggestions are toys from fast food kids meals, small toys from the dollar store or dollar sections, etc. I am really pleased with how this is working with this class. Many of them are earning 5 sticks and the ones who are not are quickly figuring out that they can if they choose to do the right thing. I would greatly appreciate your joining  me as a friend on my blog so I know who is reading them. As of right now this is the only way to communicate in mass to my parents.
Respectfully,
Mrs. Catton