Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Chores for Change

Today I explained to the children a service project that is going to be running at Holy Spirit School from November 1-16. We are collecting funds for the Leukemia and Lymphonma Society. Instead of having families just send in money I like  the children to make the connection of service and sacrafice for others in need. I am asking that you give your child the opportunity to help out around the house by doing simple chores and paying them in change. ( If you would like to make a donation as well it would be greatly appreciated). Write down with your child (model writing) what they did to earn their money and then as part of our morning routine I will call up anyone who has brought in change to come up and tell us ( langauage) what they did to earn their money. I will also ask them on ice cream days if they would like to donate their money to our charity. I have do this type of activity for many years and it is powerful to see the children make that connection of sacrafice and service to others. This is a win win activity. You get your child to help out with chores around the house while they are learning a very lesson. Please contact me if you have any questions.
Respectfully,
Mrs. Catton