Thursday, January 19, 2012

Guest Reader and Harmony

We had a guest reader this week in kindergarten- Miss Emily Shea. Emily read us the book The Big Box. She did a great job. Emily asked me if she could read to the class one day. I told her that I wanted her to choose a book from home ( appropriate reading  level), practice with someone at home, and then bring it into school.  She read the book to me and I was able to give her some reading instruction. Once we did that she read to the class with confidence.I was able to video her on our IPAD and shared it with the other kindergarten class.  Many of the children asked me if they could be the "Guest Reader" in kindergarten. So here is the challenge. If your child would like to bring a book into and read to the class they will need to do the above mentioned steps and I will schedule them to be the "Guest Reader." The greatest thing you can do for your child on their journey to literacy is to read to them daily. This week we focused on the word "harmony" during our study of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Please ask your child what the word harmony means and what they can do to help our classroom live in harmony.
Respectfully,
Mrs. Catton